82-YEAR OLD ATTACKS BURGLAR WITH TABLE The title of the article misses the point of the incident. A drunk, home-invader tried to take advantage of a little, 82-year old woman and she wound up tossing the dude a beating,
Through raw aggression supported by a body that engages in weight training or, more specifically, may be powerlifting. I used my detective skills to observe that in her interview, Willie Murphy is wearing a t-shirt that says “Powerlifting” and it was revealed during the news report that Ms. Murphy has a 225-lb deadlift!
What’s the takeaway here besides being the “feel-good” story of the day?
- No matter how old you are you have to keep moving and keep training. You. Cannot. Stop. Ever. You need to take care of yourself always. You need to have a nutrition plan that supports health and strength.
- You need to be healthy and strong enough that you can engage in aggressive behavior if you had to. You need the mental and physical capacity to be violent with unbridled ferocity when you are visited by the bad man.
- It would be helpful to develop the “I am the weapon” mentality and that everything around you is a “tool” or dangerous instrument. Willie Murphy used a table, the broken table leg and even baby shampoo! If you are not accustomed to striking with your hands (and even if you are!) you will hurt your hands during a violent encounter. You can reduce the chances of that happening by grabbing the nearest heavy object and crushing your attacker’s skull or whatever other target presents itself.
- When being attacked move through the initial analysis of the situation quickly. We almost can’t help it. You will think, “is this really happening right now?’ IT IS. MOVE!
- Do like Willie Murphy. When something isn’t right get the cavalry rolling your way as soon as possible. She called 9-1-1 BEFORE Mr. Home-Invader crashed through her door.
- If you find yourself in a violent encounter and someone has to be taken away by an ambulance the goal is always to make sure your attacker is the one making the trip to the hospital.
- Do not rely on HOPE as a strategy. I hope I never get a flat tire but I have options in place to resolve the issue if I do, including having the tools and knowledge to change a tire. This is no different than protecting yourself. Bad people are not looking for a challenge. They are looking for their perceived “weakest gazelle in the herd”. Most bad guys will perceive women to be weaker than them. Most bad guys will perceive folks older than them as weaker. Most of the time the bad guys will be right. Picking targets is their job and they are usually good at it. Be like Ms. Murphy. Be the wrong target. Have the ability to enjoy the look on your attacker’s face when he realizes that HE, not you, is the prey.
HOLIDAY SCHEDULE MODIFICATION: THANKSGIVING DAY: 9-10 & 10-11 AM ONLY BLACK FRIDAY: 9-10 & 10-11 AM ONLY
WORKOUT OF THE DAY
Pendlay Row 3-3-3-3-3
Use the heaviest weight you can for each set. Rest as needed between sets.
Complete as many rounds as possible in 14 mins of:
1 Rope Climb
3 Ring Muscle-ups
5 Burpee Box Jumps, 24/20 in
INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE WOD IS ON THANKSGIVING DAY:
THANKSGIVING WITH THE GIRLS
In today’s WOD we will have a typical holiday and visit a few family and friends houses to help them celebrate their unique traditions.
Angie’s House: 20 Pull-ups 20 Push-ups 20 AbMat Sit-ups 20 Air Squats
Helen’s House: 400 m Run 21 Kettlebell Swings, 53/35 lbs 12 Pull-ups
Fran’s House: 15 Thrusters, 95/65 lbs
Nancy’s House: Run, 400 m 15 Overhead Squats, 95/65 lbs
Grace and Isabel’s House: 20 Ground-to-Overheads, 95/65 lbs
Kelly’s House: Run, 400 m 30 Box Jumps, 24/20 in 30 Wall Balls, 20/14 lbs
We’ve been nominated for Bethpage Federal Credit Union’s Best of Long Island in the CrossFit category! We need your help to vote for us to make us the “BEST”. Voting is open from now until December 15. Click https://bestof.longislandpress.com/voting/#/gallery/?group=330484, scroll down to the CrossFit category and click on CROSSFIT SUFFOLK to vote for us!! ** You can vote once per day on as many devices as you want** Thank you for your support!!