CROSSFIT SUFFOLK: Powered By SPARTAN PERFORMANCE
10 INCREDIBLE CROSSFITTERS WHO PROVE THAT AGE IS JUST A NUMBER
“Armistice”, the Veterans Day workout, includes 3 options: the weightlifting version, the bodyweight only version and the bodyweight plus 100-meter sprint version. Fully wake up, have a nice cup of coffee, spend a few minutes meditating, take a cold shower perhaps, then come back and read this again. We will have friendly coaches on hand that can not only answer your questions about the workout but are more than happy to do so. Choose the challenge that will best help you honor the Veterans of America!
Workout of the Day
11 minute AMRAP (As Many Repetitions As Possible)
11- Power Cleans
11- Burpees Over the Bar
Scale as needed
Modified Workout (Without Barbell)
11 min AMRAP
11- Push Ups
18- Air Squats
Post your scores to the Whiteboard.
ARMISTICE (without barbell, DOES INCLUDE 100-meter sprint)
9 minute AMRAP
11 air squats
22 air squats
33 air squats
*add 11 to the sit-ups and air squats for each additional round
2-minute rest and reflection followed by
9 minute AMRAP
11 box jumps (RX 24”/20”)
22 box jumps (RX 24”/20”)
33 box jumps (RX 24”/20”)
*add 11 to the pushups and box jumps for each round
On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, was declared between the Allied nations and Germany in the First World War. This Armistice Day was later re-named to Veterans Day.
At exactly 11 a.m., each November 11th, a color guard, made up of members from each of the military branches, renders honors to America’s war dead during a ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetery.
- The 11 minutes of work and the 11-based rep scheme represents the rich history of Veteran’s Day.
- The two-minutes of rest/reflection represents this moment of silence at the tomb of the unknowns.
- The 1st round of work represents Veterans of wars past, and the 2nd round of work represents Veterans of present and future wars.
- Modified versions of classic military exercises are meant to help connect Veterans and the greater community to connect after the accomplishment of shared hardship during this WOD.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Next Saturday, November 18th, we are hosting the CrossFit Kettlebell Course. The Course is going from 8 am – 5:30 pm. All regular sessions have been canceled. We have scheduled a CrossFit session at 6-7 pm. If you are interested there is a sign-up. Please let us know.
- We are taking donations for care packages for 2 of our members serving overseas in the military. We will be sending the packages in the beginning of December. There is a table set up in the gym for placing the items you donate. There is a list in the gym of the items needed. What questions do you have?
- Some of our athletes are competing next Sunday, November 19th at CrossFit Pace Performance in Babylon. For more information and to see the workouts click HERE.
- On November 30th THE 2017 CROSSFIT LIFTOFF begins. The CrossFit Liftoff is a competition brought to us by CrossFit HQ and Rogue. The Liftoff consists of performing the Olympic Lifts for a one-rep max and performing one “GPP” or General Physical Preparedness workout (a CrossFit-type metcon). Like the CrossFit Open, you register online and record your scores online. You can do the Liftoff in your gym. Unlike every other CrossFit competition, the Liftoff has weight classes. Click HERE for further info or to register.
- On Saturday, December 2nd at 1:30 pm we are having an hour-long seminar on Handstands and Handstand Walking. The instructor for this seminar is our good friend, Andre LeRouge from Fusion MMA & Kickboxing. Andre began his competitive gymnastics training at 6 years old and has competed on a USA national level. Andre was a Southern Connecticut State University gymnast for 5 years. Andre recently participated in Circus Conditioning hand balancing training and is a competitive martial artist. Prerequisite: You have to be confident with being upside down and you have to be able to do a handstand hold against the wall. The focus of the seminar will be on handstand WALKING. Let us know if you are interested.
- Also on Saturday, December 2nd is the ARNOLDS AND ACROBATS II competition at CrossFit Cobalt in West Babylon. Team competition where one partner does strength and the other partner does bodyweight movement. So far we have 2 athletes doing this competition. For more information click HERE.
The CROSSFIT SPECIALTY COURSE: KETTLEBELL will be held in CrossFit Suffolk on November 18th, 2017. The course is a full day, certified course. The instructor for the course is what makes investing the time and money worthwhile: Jeff Martone.
There are many kettlebell instructors but none have the experience that Jeff brings to the table. Jeff is not only one of the “Founding Fathers” of the modern kettlebell movement in the United States, but is a CrossFit Level 2 and is the Kettlebell Subject Matter Expert for CrossFit. He is intimately familiar with what a CrossFit athlete needs and has worked with numerous CrossFit athletes of all levels. Jeff trains tactical athletes, members of the law enforcement and military communities, as well as professional athletes to include top mixed martial arts coaches and fighters. Jeff spent 5 years as a senior instructor for the RKC (Russian Kettlebell Challenge) and has written the most comprehensive book on the subject of kettlebells, Kettlebell RX: The Complete Guide For Athletes and Coaches.
Jeff is a kettlebell-sport athlete and is a two-time North American record holder in the Long Cycle (double kettlebell clean and jerk as many times as possible with 24 kg. kettlebells for a 10 minute period where you are not allowed to put the kettlebells down.)
Whether your goals include better kettlebell technique for fitness or for the sport you will not find a better instructor than Jeff. CrossFit could have picked among dozens of kettlebell instructors in the United States, but they chose Jeff as their Subject Matter Expert. There is a good reason for this. Jeff is passionate about coaching and is passionate about kettlebell training. Jeff has an in-depth understanding of adult learning and teaching that translates to him breaking down the kettlebell techniques in a way that they are easily understood, quickly learned and simple to retain. This course is “a potent, action-packed one-day training-intensive experience for coaches and athletes. The curriculum is dense and designed to accelerate your ability to learn, apply and master essential kettlebell skills and drills. Participants will glean training insights that will add effective variance to their current CrossFit programming, and they will learn to move more efficiently, effectively and purposely, resulting in better performance, overall endurance, and power output.”
This course is not offered in the Northeast all that often. Take advantage and sign up to spend an entire day learning from one of the best kettlebell coaches in the world!
CROSSFIT SPECIALTY COURSE: KETTLEBELL registration and further info
Happy Veterans Day to all the crossfit suffolk veterans who have served and serve this country, thank you!??????